April 7, 2024 @ 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Harp Ensemble Workshop
April 7, 2024 @ 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
April 6, 2024 @ 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm
A gala evening concert will be held at 8:00pm
See the 2022 concert performance
April 6, 2024 @ 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Tuamgraney Harp Festival Competitions
Competitions will be held in St Cronan’s Church, Tuamgraney,
one of the oldest church’s in Ireland, on Saturday 6th of April 2024 at 4:00pm
Competition Rules 2024
- Harp solo U 18 (minimum 3 years playing experience)
- Ensemble (minimum 1 harps) open age
Minimum of 3 musicians and maximum of 6 members.
For all categories :
Own choice of “celtic” music for a minimum of 5 and maximum of 8 minutes, performed continuosly. Points will be deducted if over or under this time. Special attention should be paid to selection of tunes, and efforts should be made to play tunes other than jigs, reels and hornpipes, e.g. explore also the music from other celtic nations to provide as much variety as possible.
Newly composed tunes are welcome provided they stay in the traditional celtic style.
An effort should be made to ensure that the harp is the central focus of the arrangement.
List of pieces has to be given to adjudicators or organisors before the start of all competitions. Prizes : Cash prizes and Rita O’Dowd Perpetual Cup
COMPETITIONS ENTRY FEES
€10 solo competition
€20 group competition
Public will be admitted free of charge
- Ensemble competition is open to all ages. Harp solo is for competitors under 18 years old. Proof of age may be requested by the committee.
- All entry forms for competitors under 18 years of age must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- In order that 3 Prizes per competition may be awarded it will be necessary to have at least 4 competitors (4 solos / 4 Ensembles) in any competition.
- If a competitor is not present when called for the competition he/she/they may be disqualified.
- The committee will not be responsible for any at loss of, or damage to, competitor’s property.
- For competitors’ full names and adresses must be listed on the entry forms
- Any objection must be written and signed by objector and handed to the secretary together with a fee of €10 within fifteen minutes of the close of competition and before the adjudicators decision is announced.
- The decision of the committee shall be final and binding in respect of all matters relating to the competitions and this shall be accepted by each competitor.
- Each competitor on entering the competition will be deemed to have read and accepted these rules.
- Entries must be in accordance with these rules, fee(s) must be payed, and validity of an entry is the responsibility of the competitor.
- Entries fees cannot be reumbursed once paid.
- Entries are at the discretion of the committee.
- Each competitor will have his/her wristband to compete.
- Competitions will be acoustic only.
- Competition entry deadline is: 5th of April 2024.
Harp Makers Q&A
April 6, 2024 @ 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Featured Harp Makers
April 6, 2024 @ 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Intermediate/Advanced Harp Workshops
The intermediate and advanced workshops will be facilitated by harpists Grainne Hambly and Fionnuala Rooney. Minimum 2 years playing experience is required. Student standards will be assess accordingly at registration and they will be assigned a class. Registration is from 9:30am at Nuala’s Bar & Restaurant. The workshops will take place from 10:00am to 12:00noon.
New: Beginner Harp Workshop
The beginner workshop will be facilitated by harpist Fiana Ni Chonaill. Participants must have their own instrument to take part in this workshop. Registration is from 9:30am at Nuala’s Bar & Restaurant. The workshops will take place from 10:00am to 12:00noon.
Fiddle & Concertina Workshops
These workshops will be run by tutors Manus McGuire & Cillian King. They are aimed at students who have a minimum of 2 years playing experience. Registration is from 9:30am at Nuala’s Bar & Restaurant. The workshops will take place from 10:00am-12:00noon.
April 6, 2024 @ 9:30 am – 10:00 am
April 5, 2024 @ 8:00 pm – 11:30 pm